[Pdns-users] How to switch between two different "zone" files for the same domain?

David Jones djones at ena.com
Sun Mar 31 07:31:17 UTC 2019

The backend is going to determine what can be done and I am not seeing that below.  There are many option depending on how complex the changes are in that zone in the DR site.  If you have a similar IP subnet scheme in a /23 or /24 with the same 4th octet and the backend is a database, then a script could easily zap the A records in that zone.  If the number of hosts at the DR site is relatively small, then a script could create/update /etc/hosts entries on the PDNS server and then serve that via "etc-hosts-file=/etc/hosts".

Bottom line, PDNS is very flexible but as an admin, one has to have a basic understandinig of how the parts fit together to take advantage of that flexibility then know something about scripting the parts together to fit a particular need.

There's probably dozens of ways to solve this and 10 replies on this thread could give you 9 different suggestions.  We need a little more detail though.

Dave