[Pdns-users] pdns4 and ALIAS record on remote server

Bill James bill.james at j2.com
Fri Jun 7 20:58:33 UTC 2019

I'm trying to get ALIAS records to work.
I think I set it up as stated here:
https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/alias.html
The problem I have is if the ALIAS record points to something local to that
auth server it works fine. If it points to something resolved by a
different dns server it doesn't work.

I'm no expert, but I thought with pdns4 the auth server doesn't handler
recursion, pdns-recursor does. So I don't understand how adding
resolver=[::1]:5300
expand-alias=yes

to pdns.conf can work if auth server can't lookup external records?
You can't add this to recursor.conf.

I must be missing something. Any suggestions?

My install, on centos7:
pdns-4.1.4-1pdns.el7.x86_64
pdns-backend-sqlite-4.1.4-1pdns.el7.x86_64
pdns-recursor-4.1.3-2.el7.x86_64