[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor forward-zones-file and recursion-desired

Alun James AJames at tibus.com
Wed Jan 9 17:04:38 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,

Just having come confusion with the pdns-recursor forward-zones-file settings, which I will describe..

Due to migrating to the newest versions of pdns and losing the recursor settings, I have been following the migration guide (https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/recursion.html), scenario 2. We do plan on fully separating Auth and Recursion, but for now I need them both on the same IP.

Dnsdist (1.3.3) is configured on 53 and I have a list of allowed subnets for recursion, everyone else is sent to the authoritative .
pdns (4.1.5) is on localhost:5300
pdns-recursor (4.1.8) is on localhost:5301

Externally, authoritative requests are working fine and dnsdist sends correctly to localhost:5300 and the response has the "aa" flag. All good.
Recursion is working fine from a whitelisted IP to external domains OK...

dig @my-server bbc.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.15-Ubuntu <<>> @localhost bbc.co.uk
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bbc.co.uk.                     IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
bbc.co.uk.              300     IN      A       151.101.128.81
bbc.co.uk.              300     IN      A       151.101.0.81
bbc.co.uk.              300     IN      A       151.101.64.81
bbc.co.uk.              300     IN      A       151.101.192.81

However, I can no longer get a response from any zone on my Auth server, as dnsdist see's my IP as on the whitelist and keeps sending me to the recursor rather than the auth and so I get a fail. To work around this, my zones are also defined in the pdns-recursor config in the forward-zone-file, which is included and correctly read on restart.

Example from forward-zones-file:  tibus.net=127.0.0.1:5300

I can now query this zone OK from a whitelisted IP and get a response, however, I do not get "aa" flag, but instead "rd".

dig @my-server tibus.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.15-Ubuntu <<>> @localhost tibus.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;tibus.net.                     IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
tibus.net.              1699    IN      A       89.185.148.64

According to the documentation the zones listed in the forward-zone-file will only have the recursion-desired bit set if they are prefixed with a "+" ("Zones prefixed with a '+' are forwarded with the recursion-desired bit set") I do not have this prefix, but yet the bit is set.  Have I confused this settings meaning, misconfigured or should I be getting an "aa" flag?

Many thanks,

Alun