[Pdns-users] max-negative-ttl does not work

Nico CARTRON nicolas at ncartron.org
Wed Jan 9 08:33:52 UTC 2019

Hi Stefan,

On 09-Jan-2019 09:19 CET, <s.priebe at profihost.ag> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> i'm trying to get max-negative-ttl to work but i can't.
>
> # dpkg -s pdns-recursor  | grep Version
> Version: 4.1.8-1pdns.stretch
>
> # grep max-negative-ttl /etc/powerdns/recursor.conf
> max-negative-ttl=30
>
> # dig -t A unknowndomainxyz.multi.hiddendomain.de
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 26437
>
> dumped cache:
>
> # grep "unknowndomainxyz.multi.hiddendomain.de" /cachefile
> unknowndomainxyz.multi.hiddendomain.de. 3588 A  ; tag 0
>
> Why is the TTL 3588 when max-negative-ttl is set to 30?

Just did a quick check on one of my Recursor, version 4.1.8 running on
FreeBSD, and max-negative-ttl works as expected (i.e. if I set it to 30
seconds, I correctly get this back, should it be with a dig or when
dumping the cache).

Did you forget to restart the recursor after having changed the value in
the recursor.conf? Cause the 3600 value is the default one.

Cheers,

--
Nico