[Pdns-users] Confused about PDNS versions in distro package repos

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sun Jan 6 18:07:27 UTC 2019

On 06/01/2019 17:54, Nick Williams wrote:
> I hate how confusing package versions are in distro package repos…
> (and that’s a systemic issue with repos, not a problem made by the
> fine folks here).
>
> I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic). I’m trying to decide if I can/should
> just use the PDNS package in its distro package repo, or if I should
> use repo.powerdns.com <http://repo.powerdns.com>.

FYI, the packaging of powerdns in xenial is complete rubbish. They
packaged a pre-release alpha version which had severe problems, which
were of course fixed in the release version; but Ubuntu never updated to
the release version.  Nearly three years on, they still haven't done so
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/net/pdns-server>.

So my advice is strongly to go with repo.powerdns.com.

Not only will you get tested and stable code, and incremental
improvements; you can also choose which branch you want to run and
change branches when it suits you.

> The PDNS Authoritative version reported in Ubuntu’s repo
> (https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/pdns-server) is 4.1.1-1. But
> 4.1.1-1 isn’t an actual PDNS version. So is it actually 4.1.1, or is
> it 4.1.2, 4.1.3, 4.1.4, or 4.1.5? Does anyone here even know the
> answer to that (seems like a big mystery of the universe to me)? Or
> maybe know where I can find this information?

Actually it's very simple: it just means powerDNS 4.1.1, packaging
version 1.  This allows the same underlying version 4.1.1 to be
repackaged/re-released as (say) 4.1.1-2.

They would do this if they found a bug in the way it was packaged - e.g.
a bug in a pre/post install script, or a missing file, or a wrong
permission.  Also, in some circumstances they might backport a patch to
4.1.1.

Cheers,

Brian.