[Pdns-users] Confused about PDNS versions in distro package repos

Nick Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Sun Jan 6 17:54:11 UTC 2019

I hate how confusing package versions are in distro package repos… (and that’s a systemic issue with repos, not a problem made by the fine folks here).

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic). I’m trying to decide if I can/should just use the PDNS package in its distro package repo, or if I should use repo.powerdns.com <http://repo.powerdns.com/>.

The PDNS Authoritative version reported in Ubuntu’s repo (https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/pdns-server <https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/pdns-server>) is 4.1.1-1. But 4.1.1-1 isn’t an actual PDNS version. So is it actually 4.1.1, or is it 4.1.2, 4.1.3, 4.1.4, or 4.1.5? Does anyone here even know the answer to that (seems like a big mystery of the universe to me)? Or maybe know where I can find this information?

Would it, instead, be in my best interest to just use repo.powerdns.com <http://repo.powerdns.com/> so as to make sure I get the latest patch-version bug fixes?

Thanks,

Nick