[Pdns-users] How to notify non-PowerDNS anycast servers

Cristian Seres cseres at iki.fi
Wed Dec 11 15:07:32 UTC 2019

Hi!

I have three PowerDNS 4.1 authoritative servers in native mode using the
MariaDB replication. The Finnish Transport and Communication Agency is
now providing a free-of-charge anycast for .fi domains and there is a
requirement that their hidden DNS servers should be notified with
also-notify.

What is the correct way to enable notification for a list of external
hidden DNS servers if PowerDNS is currently using native mode? I have
already set also-notify to the required IP addresses and I also set

only-notify= #an empty value to prevent notify except also-notify

which, I understand, disables notifying my PowerDNS servers which are
listed in NS records.

Is it a correct and recommended way to set

master=yes

on all PowerDNS servers and change the type from NATIVE to MASTER in all
zones which I want to notify external DNS servers, or is there some
other way to ask PowerDNS to notify specific DNS servers without
enabling master mode? Are there any side effects of changing the mode?

AXFR part of the anycast configuration I have already managed to set
with TSIG keys which seem to work perfectly.

With best regards,

--
Cristian Seres