[Pdns-users] pdns forward nested recurse possible?

Nico CARTRON nicolas at ncartron.org
Fri Apr 19 09:04:21 UTC 2019

Hello,

On 19-Apr-2019 10:48 CEST, <abubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use recursor to forward all queries to pdns authoritative
> server and if that query fails, it will forward all to public DNS such as
> 8.8.8.8?
>
> For example, in my pdns, I have create a domain called mydomain.com and
> yourdomain.moc.
>
> So instead of creating:
> forward-zones=mydomain=127.0.0.1:5300
> forward-zones+=yourdomain.moc=127.0.0.1:5300
> forward-zones-recurse=.=8.8.8.8
>
> I would like to create:
> forward-zones-recurse=.=127.0.0.1:5300
> forward-zones-recurse+=.=8.8.8.8
>
> However, tried second method and it does not work. Please advise.

Could you explain with more details what you are trying to achieve?
Sending all the queries you're receiving from the Recursor to an Authoritative
server wont' work, as the Auth will only answer for the DNS zones it is Auth
for.

Google Public DNS is not an Authoritative service, but a recursive one.

Also, forward-zones-recurse means you are sending requests to a recursive DNS
server (https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#forward-zones-recurse),
which your PDNS Authoritative is not - hence the fact that this second method
doesn't work.

Cheers,

--
Nico