[Pdns-users] Different replies based on origin of query

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Fri Sep 28 16:10:49 UTC 2018

Hi Jason,

On 9/28/18 4:55 PM, Jason Bailey wrote:
> Is there a way with pdns (auth) version 4.1 to essentially accomplish
> what BIND does with views? In other words, different responses for the
> same DNS records based on what IP or IPs the queries come from?
>
> Suppose I wanted a given zone only to resolve if the queries come from a
> select IP -- can I do that? If so, how?

This smells like you want your local recursor to provide different
answers for yourdomain.example than 'other' resolvers on the internet.
The easiest way to do that is to use the auth-zones[1] feature of the
PowerDNS Recursor. Or, if you need more control, you can forward queries
for yourdomain.example to another authoritative server (e.g. running on
the local loopback) using forward-zones[2].

If this is not your usecase, please provide the mailinglist with more
information.

Best regards,

Pieter

1 - https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#auth-zones