[Pdns-users] recursor - pdns authoritative and axfr problem

Bernd Krueger-Knauber bkk at ednt.de
Tue Sep 25 07:12:12 UTC 2018

Hi,

I didn't found a solution for our problem online. So I'm here now.

We try to migrate an official ns from bind to powerdns, since we want to
give access the domain useres to their entries via web ui.
As written online, I placed the recursor infront of the pdns on the same
host with a mysql/maria db.
In general it is working: I can query own domains and foreign ones.
But ...
If I querry the pdns directly (localhost 5300) with dig, I get the AA flag.
If I querry via the recursor from 'outside' I don't get it.
Ok, auth-zones. But I can not provide them manually, because I don't
know when someone adds a new zone via web.
I thought the recursor can also access the database, but it don't looks
like.

I also get no AXFR working in this construct.

I also found some examples (not official) on the net where the pdns is
infront of the recursor.
Ok, this would solve the AA problem. But I don't think that this is the
correct way.

At the moment we use Debian Stretch with the 'inbuild' PowerDNS parts
pdns 4.0.3 and recursor 4.0.4

Any hints/informations ?

Best regards