[Pdns-users] recursor 4.0.4 and SERVFAIL

bitsof info bitsofinfo.g at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:41:28 UTC 2018

Thanks Bert

1. Yes the setting was done via the console on a running server with the
command below

rec_control trace-regex
'api.my.domain.com.$|some.other.address.domain.com.$'

2. the recursor.conf has "#trace=yes" comented out, but not sure if this
has to be active for the trace-regex to work, doc was not clear on that.

3. The fqdn "api.my.domain.com" is the one listed w/ SERVFAILs (it returns
a CNAME for "some.other.address.domain.com")

4. The logs do show what appears to be pretty detailed info about cache
hits/missies (when trace-regex is on) and the recursion done to fine the
CNAME address etc. But despite failures in clients and SERVFAIL counter
going up for the address, I don't see any errors or anything related to
SERVFAIL ion the logs (looking at var/logs/messages)

5. the recursor.conf has no log level set so I assume the daemon is using
the syslog default *.info and greater. The logs in var log messages give
not severity but I assume the logging is working as I see messages there
just nothing pertaining to SERVFAIL

thanks!
Jim