[Pdns-users] Recursor to Respond Authoritatively for all Queries

Asanka Gunasekara asankag at talkup.com.au
Wed Oct 17 09:19:08 UTC 2018

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response.

Let me try to explain why I am running this setup to give some information and possibly find a better alternative way.

We have several resolvers/recursors installed for clients/systems use and they're working as intended.

The authoritative server has a private zone. Authoritative server should respond/answer for queries to this private domain if they originated from a select list of IP addresses. And authoritative server should respond/answer for queries for all other domains normally.

The reason for forwarding all requests to the Authoritative server is due to the fact that this combo server should not be a public resolver/recursor.

Hope this gives more information to understand the setup.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,
Asanka Gunasekara

P: 1300 825 587
E: support at talkup.com.au [http://talkup.com.au/] | W: www.talkup.com.au [http://www.talkup.com.au/]
Postal Address: PO Box 24, Varsity Lakes QLD 4227

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email, or telephone 1300 825 587, and destroy the original message. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
On 17/10/2018 1:32:57 PM, Brian Candler <b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:
On 17/10/2018 10:43, Asanka Gunasekara wrote:
> The issue I currently have is that when I test the records via
> intodns.com or some other DNS check servers they report back saying
> lame servers.
>
> Under recursor.conf, I have the following two lines basically
> forwarding all queries to the authoritative server.
> forward-zones=.=127.0.0.1:5300
> forward-zones-recurse=.=127.0.0.1:5300
>
> Is there a way to configure the recursor to answer authoritatively for
> all queries? Say for example via Lua script with setAA() function perhaps?

No - I'm afraid you can't do it this way. Your authoritative server
must be bound to port 53 if it's accepting queries from the outside world.

You options are:

1. Run your recursor and authoritative server bound to two different IP
addresses (or in separate VMs or containers with their own IPs)

or

2. Don't list your authoritative server in the NS records, and instead
use it as a "hidden primary". That is, you have two or more additional
nameservers on public IPs, which are listed in NS records, and they get
their zone content from the hidden primary (either by a zone transfer
from x.x.x.x:5300, or by database replication)

Final note: please don't use forward-zones to forward all queries to an
authoritative server, since it's not authoritative for the whole
Internet. You should rarely need forward-zones at all: as long as the
NS records for your domain point to your authoritative servers, the
recursor will find them by itself. Forward-zones are normally used for
private domains which can't be delegated (e.g. localhost,
168.192.in-addr.arpa)

HTH,

Brian.

---