[Pdns-users] Migration to PowerDNS from Bind 9.7

Ian Easter ieaster at telvue.com
Thu Nov 15 00:59:28 UTC 2018

Howdy folks!

As many before me, I have inherited a network infrastructure that is
showing its age.  First order is to update the self-hosted DNS servers.
This is new territory for me, so I get the opportunity to learn as I
progress in the endeavor.

Right now it is 1 BIND Master and 2 BIND Slaves and they provide DNS for
our local office as well as a remote Colo.  They handle the Private
Internal Zones we have as well as directing requests for public internet
resolution.  At least, I believe that to the best summary of how they're
performing.

I have a test environment setup currently and everything looks to be
running smoothly.  My question is geared toward verifying if I understood
the overall functions correctly and have things configured as it should be
(optimally).

I have PDNS Recursor sitting as the front for all of the DNS requests so
they may be resolved for public websites/access and I have the
`forward-zones` option set to forward all requests to the Authoritative and
Slave PDNS Servers for our private internal domains.  So Recursor is
getting all requests, private zone/domain requests are forwarded to the
Authoritative server and all others are obtained externally.

Is this the proper setup or is there a way that the Authoritative DNS
Server would need to be configured to manage requests in this fashion?

*Thank you.*