[Pdns-users] DDNS with ClientSubnet(EDNS) not working

spamspamsdasda at gmail.com spamspamsdasda at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:08:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

trying to get DDNS working.

Works fine unless I am using EDNS with ClientSubnet.

My setup is:

client -> dnsdist (server A) -> dnsdist (server B) -> pdns (server B).

I am using "useClientSubnet" on both dnsdist instances.

When set, pdns does not react to update messages at all. I compiled
using the debug flag to get additional output. But everything I can see is:

Received a packet 219 bytes long from 127.0.0.1
Received a packet 219 bytes long from 127.0.0.1
Received a packet 219 bytes long from 127.0.0.1
(multiple times because of retires).

When I disable useClientSubnet it works as expected.
I even did a capture to compare the packets and the difference is only
in the additional records:
When it works:
1 additional record with type TSIG, class ANY
When it does not work:
3 additional  records with a) type TSIG, class ANY b) type OPT with
client subnet c) type OPT with client subnet.

Might there be a bug which prevents DDNS from working when there are
other EDNS records? Or am I missing anything regarding the DNS
specification?
At least it is suspicious that there is no further output after
"Received a packet 219 bytes long from 127.0.0.1"...

I am using:
client: Raspbian with ddclient 3.8.3
server A: Arch (up2date) with "dnsdist 1.2.1 (Lua 5.3.4) Enabled
features: dnscrypt libsodium protobuf re2 systemd"
server B: Gentoo (up2date) with "PDNS 4.1.1, Features: botan2.3 sodium
openssl lua verboselog"

Thanks and best regards!