[Pdns-users] PDNS Recursor - No cache hit found although cache entry is present

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Mar 13 09:13:15 UTC 2018

Hi Carlos,

On 03/12/2018 02:28 PM, Carlos N wrote:
> We are running some tests over pdns-recursor 4.1.1 and where finding a
> forwarding scenario that is not working the same way as in 4.0.4 version.
>
> We have forward-zones-recurse=.=8.8.8.8 configured in our recursor.
>
> After requesting wikipedia name we can see the cache entry that has bben
> created.
> [...]
> The following attempts to resolve the same query are not answered form
> cache and pdns-recursor goes always to 8.8.8.8 to provide an answer.
> [...]
> In version 4.0.4 pdns-recurasor is able to answer the queries using
> available cache entry un TTL expires

I can indeed reproduce this issue. The root cause is that 4.1 only uses
non-authoritative cached data for "infra" queries, ie retrieving NS and
their IP addresses. This works quite well except for
forward-zones-recurse, where the answers come from a recursor instead of
an authoritative server and thus don't have the AA bit set.
Would you mind opening a new issue for this bug at
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new ?

And out of curiosity, why are you using the recursor if you are
effectively forwarding all your queries to another recursor?

Kind regards,
--
Remi Gacogne