[Pdns-users] PDNS Authoritative Server DDOS Protection

Hamed Haghshenas haghshenas at chavoosh.com
Wed Jul 25 04:20:46 UTC 2018

Hi,
Is there any update here?
Could anyone help me on this ?

BR,
Hamed Haghshenas
-----Original Message-----
From: Hamed Haghshenas [mailto:haghshenas at chavoosh.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2018 10:38 AM
To: 'pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com' <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com>
Subject: RE: [Pdns-users] PDNS Authoritative Server DDOS Protection

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your solution, I use it same as below:

local dbr = dynBlockRulesGroup()
dbr:setQueryRate(3, 10, "Exceeded query rate", 60) dbr:setRCodeRate(dnsdist.NXDOMAIN, 3, 10, "Exceeded NXD rate", 60) dbr:setRCodeRate(dnsdist.SERVFAIL, 3, 10, "Exceeded ServFail rate", 60) dbr:setQTypeRate(dnsdist.ANY, 3, 10, "Exceeded ANY rate", 60) dbr:setResponseByteRate(5000, 10, "Exceeded resp BW rate", 60)

function maintenance()
  dbr:apply()
end

For attacks build by Mausezahn with small Src Address subnet, worked fine and blocked every /32 subnet that reach the query rate . but when use big SRC subnet like /20 it can't manage the queries and CPU rate increase .

could you please let me know is there any way to force Dyn blocked function check /24 subnet instead of /32 and, for every /24 SRC subnet, if query rate exceed then block /24 subnet .
for example for 10.10.10.0/24, if query rate exist 10 for 10s then block 10.10.10.0/24.

BR,
Hamed Haghshenas