[Pdns-users] PDNS Auth Zone Distribution in a Global Network?

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Mon Jul 2 17:58:48 UTC 2018

> On Jun 29, 2018, at 2:23 PM, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am considering moving some or all of DNSimple's authoritative DNS service back over to PowerDNS within the next 6 months, but before I do so, I'm hoping to get in touch with one or more folks from the PowerDNS community who operate authoritative DNS across multiple geographic regions.
>
> We currently have POPs in San Jose, Chicago, Virginia, Amsterdam, Tokyo, and a new one coming online in Sydney. To distribute zone changes quickly (within 60 seconds) from our Chicago data center we have a home grown zone distribution system where notifications are sent to a zone server within each data center, and that zone server in turn sends out a notice to every name server in its data center. Each name server then queries the zone server for the zone, and the zone server either pulls the zone from memcached and returns it to the name server, which caches it in memory, or the zone server queries our primary data store in Chicago to get the zone.
>
> This system works, however as it is all home grown, it is difficult to maintain and enhance. I am interested in moving away from our custom solution to something off-the-shelf, and I'm looking for recommendations from other operators on what is working for you.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and your thoughts.

I've been using PowerDNS in several locations, east and west coast of the US, using a PostgreSQL backend and PostgreSQL logical replication. Updates are pushed out fast enough that I don't see any delay, typically less than a second.

If the database backend will handle your query load it's well worth considering.

Cheers,
  Steve