[Pdns-users] [External] Re: Notification for domains to ip1:53 failed after retries

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Thu Jan 25 09:25:37 UTC 2018

Hi Steve,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:00:59 -0800
Steve Zeng <steve.zeng at booking.com> wrote:

> speaking of slaves, does PowerDNS Recursor can fully replace BIND in your experience? i.e. forwarding, caching and DNSBL, etc.?

The answer is "yes". The Recursor supports forwarding (both recursive
and non-recursive) and RPZ[1]. The only thing missing in this experience
is IXFR creation on the Authoritative Server's part, as that is
architectually not possible as we do not keep track of records removed
from the database.

Moreover, the DNSBL experience can also be approximated by using the Lua
scripting functionality in the Recursor[2] to block queries based on a
loaded list.

Best regards,

Pieter

1 - https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/rpz.html