[Pdns-users] PowerDNS recursor stripping AA bit from forwarded responses

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Thu Feb 22 23:32:31 UTC 2018

Hi there!

https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#forward-zones <https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#forward-zones> states:

> Forwarded queries have the ‘recursion desired’ bit set to 0, meaning that this setting is intended to forward queries to authoritative servers.

If I set it up this way, all the responses coming back to the recursor are having their AA bits stripped (set to 0) (presumably by this code <https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/blob/master/pdns/pdns_recursor.cc#L814>  when forwarded back to the client. Is this intentional? Would it make sense to leave the AA bit alone when forwarding back authoritative responses? If not, why not?

-Julian Mehnle