[Pdns-users] Why the rectify-zone? increase-serial?

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Tue Feb 6 16:26:52 UTC 2018

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:29 AM, Sander Smeenk via Pdns-users <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
>
> Quoting Sander Smeenk via Pdns-users (pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com):
>
>> Could this not be handled by some logic that compares the serial
>> to the last-rectified serial and rectifies it on the fly when needed?
>> This might not work for super huge zones perhaps, performance wise,
>> but i dont think i would notice anything in my workload. ;-)
>
> Heh. According to da interweps, this was 'discussed' on list earlier.
> http://powerdns.13854.n7.nabble.com/How-do-you-rectify-zones-tt8633.html#none
> But that thread just boils down to "Yea, you got to rectify-zone yourself." ;)

There is an API call to rectify a zone, so any automation / web front end
could do that as it's final operation when updating a zone, making it
transparent to the user.

On a related note, does anyone know of a good way to check whether a
zone is valid, or not? It's something I'd like to monitor, but I'm not sure
how best to do that.

Cheers,
  Steve