[Pdns-users] Migrate from zsk/ksk/rsa to csk/ecdsa

Nicola Tiling nti at w4w.net
Sun Aug 5 11:25:56 UTC 2018

Hey Oli

Thanks a lot again for your excellent support!

> * Replace DS records through the registrar, meaning add the new DS and remove all old DS at the same time.

Maybe switch.ch has more possibilities. My domain provider only gives the option to „update" a domain. Then in the background he pulls all keys from my nameserver and deliver them to the registrar.  So my only possibility to have only one DS in the .tld zone and  "add the new DS and remove all old DS at the same time“, is to remove the old KSK.

I have tested this schema with .me and .info domains without trouble:

* Add new ECDSA CSK and double sign the domain
	1. pdnsutil add-zone-key zone.tld ksk active 256 ECDSAP256SHA256
    	  1.1 pdnsutil rectify-zone zone.tld
    	  1.2 pdnsutil increase-serial zone.tld
    	2. Wait that zone is double signed with old KSK/ZSK and new CSK
	  2.1 Check nameserver (google, cloudflare etc.) with dig and consultate dnssec-debugger and dnsviz webservice.
* Replace DS records - delete old KSK and publish new ECDSA CSK
    	3. pdnsutil remove-zone-key zone.tld OLD-ID-KSK
    	  3.1 pdnsutil rectify-zone zone.tld
    	  3.2 pdnsutil increase-serial zone.tld
	  3.3 check zone master and slaves all is correct and in sync
    	4. PUBLISH TO REGISTRAR
* Delete old ZSK
        5. Wait that only ECDSA DS is used by recursors
	  5.1 Check nameserver (google, cloudflare etc.) with dig and consultate dnssec-debugger and dnsviz webservice.
    	6. pdnsutil remove-zone-key zone.tld OLD-ID-ZSK
    	  6.1 pdnsutil rectify-zone zone.tld
    	  6.2 pdnsutil increase-serial zone.tld

What I’m noticed is that if I delete the old KSK (step 3.) the notation for the old ZSK switches automatically from „ZSK“ to „CSK“ but flag „256“ is keeping.
e.g.
ID = 36 (CSK), flags = 256, tag = 52266, algo = 8, bits = 1024    Active ( RSASHA256 )
Some people discuss this behavior here: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/5330

Best wishes
Nicola