[Pdns-users] Lua control of config settings?

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Tue Apr 17 05:24:06 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-16 10:55, MRob wrote:

>>> That's the same method this person said crashed recursor with much
>>> less
>>> https://git.mauras.ch/Various/powerdns_recursor_ads_blocking
>>> Are there other people who have experience?
>>
>> It shouldn't crash the recursor and if you can reproduce the crash and
>> share the reproduction method I would be happy to look into it.
>
> ok maybe I will try it but can any people comment is there pros or
> cons to implementing a block list using Policy Zones instead comparing
> to loading the file direct into a big list?
>
> I have policy zone based blocklisting working but only with a few test
> domains in zone file

I tested with over 500.000 domain list using both methods. RPZ pauses at
startup while loading the zone, using Lua domain list pauses when first
query comes and the server forks its workers. RPZ pause feels a couple
seconds slower, but not scientific measurement.

Only RPZ gave this error:
Unable to load RPZ zone from '.....rpz': name too long
I had to comment out long domain lines. Can someone indicate what the
maximum domain name length should be?

After startup, responsiveness seems normal using both methods but it's
just one person test visiting a few different sites so I can't give
solid data.
Are there another reasons to consider why or why not to use RPZ vs.