[Pdns-users] Efficient query logging

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Apr 3 21:28:13 UTC 2018

Hi Brian,

On 04/02/2018 12:06 PM, Brian Candler wrote:
> I therefore wonder what approaches other people have taken to this
> problem.  Is it possible to do this efficiently within pdns itself, e.g.
> using LUA [^1]?  Should I put dnsdist in front [^2]?

Yes, in my humble opinion using our protobuf export feature is the way
to go, at least that's the kind of goal we had in mind when we designed it.
Note that it's not really Lua-related in the recursor, it only happens
to be configurable via the Lua configuration file because it was much
more flexible that way but there is no Lua involved at run-time.
dnsdist has the same capability but only knows about incoming queries
and outgoing responses, it doesn't see outgoing queries to authoritative
servers, which is something that our protobuf export in the recursor
does get.

Best regards,
--
Remi Gacogne