[Pdns-users] Bind config file includes

Tim Traver tt-list at simplenet.com
Wed Nov 15 19:31:09 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I am evaluating powerdns as a replacement to BIND, and would prefer to keep my BIND zone files intact, and on disk.

The following are the only parameters I have set in the pdns.conf file that are different from the defaults.

launch=bind
bind-config=/path/to/named.conf
bind-check-interval=0
bind-ignore-broken-records=yes

The named.conf has a structure of includes to include several directories full of zone files like this :

include "reverse/1.conf";
include "special/1.conf";
include "forward/1.conf”;

And in those 1.conf files are additional includes that looks something like this :

include "forward/1000/1.conf";
include "forward/1001/1.conf”;

When I try and start pdns, I get the following error in the logs :

Nov 15 11:25:06 pdns_server: Unable to open './reverse/1.conf': No such file or directory

I checked all of the permissions up to the directories. I can’t tell what pdns thinks is its current working directory from an strace, so I have no idea where it is thinking that its cwd is to try and open those included files.

I assure you all that directory exists, in the same dir as the named.conf file.

Yes, I tried making the include path a full path from root, and that works, but I don’t want to have to change ALL of the zone include statements to be from the root. They should work from whatever path of the included file, or at least from what pdns thinks its root is.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Tim