[Pdns-users] Problems resolving specific domain with pdns_recursor 4

Christian Renner christian.renner at iway.ch
Thu Jul 20 13:00:49 UTC 2017

Hi

We currently face issues in resolving bankofsingapore.com with all our PDNS 4 installations (4.0.4 and 4.0.6). Sometimes resolving works, sometimes not (retrieving servfail):

root at icarus:~# rec_control wipe-cache bankofsingapore.com; dig ns bankofsingapore.com +short
wiped 1 records, 0 negative records, 1 packets
root at icarus:~# rec_control wipe-cache bankofsingapore.com; dig ns bankofsingapore.com +short
wiped 1 records, 0 negative records, 1 packets
ns2.bankofsingapore.com.
ns1.bankofsingapore.com.
root at icarus:~# rec_control wipe-cache bankofsingapore.com; dig ns bankofsingapore.com +short
wiped 1 records, 1 negative records, 1 packets
ns2.bankofsingapore.com.
ns1.bankofsingapore.com.
root at icarus:~# rec_control wipe-cache bankofsingapore.com; dig ns bankofsingapore.com +short
wiped 1 records, 1 negative records, 1 packets

root@ icarus:~# rec_control top-servfail-queries
Over last 68 entries:
61.76%	bankofsingapore.com.|NS
36.76%	bankofsingapore.com.|MX
1.47%	ns2.bankofsingapore.com.|A

Resolving the mx records of bankofsingapore.com never works with our PDNS 4 instances while all that stuff works with PDNS 3 and Unbound.

Someone here with a good idea how to debug this problem?

Regards
Christian