[Pdns-users] pdns_recursors trusts addtional section where it better shouldn't

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Feb 17 09:58:40 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:49:08AM +0100, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> ovh changed its MX A records and now my employers Mail relays can't send
> email to ovh.

Have you attempted to talk to OVH about their misconfiguration?

I ask this because the DNS Resolver community keeps getting asked to solve
problems which are not ours. But it is easier to ask us to change.

We (BIND, Unbound) keep running into broken F5 configurations for example,
and yes, we can fix those with some special casing. But people always ask us
because we are easier to talk to than the operators of the F5 machines.

And so the code in resolvers becomes ever more a set of exceptions and
workarounds. And please know, every workaround breaks something else.

So please ask OVH to fix their stuff.

> Many many domains are wrongly delegated with wrong glue records in the tld
> zone.

Let us not encourage broken things to work well. Some pain is quite
motivational to clean this up.

> I understand that this must have a performance impact but having the choice
> between 1000s of customer calls a day "I can't send emails to ovh and it is
> your fault" and buying some more recursor boxes, I clearly want more
> recursor boxes and less disappointed customers.

The disappointed customers may want to ask OVH why it is publishing the
wrong IP addresses?

	Bert