[Pdns-users] DiG _trace: no response, no fail, nothing

stancs3 scruise56 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 01:29:19 UTC 2017

I have seen this problem posted in various places over the years. It is
not clear if it is a bug, a bad config, or just non-functional.

My set up:

VM running Centos 7, up to date.
pdns install using postgresql db.
pdns-recursor install.

pdns is running as an authoritive ns, standalone, replicated via
postgresql to a second VM, pretty much identical.

pdns is set with recursor=local-address:5300

pdns-recursor is set with local-address equal to pdns local-address
above

pdns-recursor is set with local-port equal to pdns 5300 above.

It all seems to work.

The authoritive nameserver is private, and is populated with a few records which work.

The recursor is being tested with DiG. (and with typical surfing). I have verified that the VM has no other dns function working in parallel.

All DiG commands so far work with the exception of +trace.

I have logs running, and can easily see logs generated for DiG commands that work.

I have attached a console example. The logs and console indicate that the DiG command with +trace doesn't fail; it just doesn't even respond.

If I target the same DiG +trace command at my router's dnsmasq, it responds as expected with a whole bunch of trace info.

I have tried for days/hours with all variations I can think of and all manner of surfing for solutions. If there were failure logs it would help, but absolutely zero logs with the +trace command is issued to pdns.

I have also dumped my cache and it has many NS records.

I am tempted to simply ignore this and just use the thing as it seems to work. I only tried DiG +trace to see how it all works......