[Pdns-users] Recursion requested but not available

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sun Dec 31 12:44:18 UTC 2017

On 30/12/2017 23:24, Jake Terepocki wrote:
> Hopefully this is the right place, for some reason after reinstalling
> our PowerDNS and power admin it doesn't seem to be working correctly.
>
> Doing a dig request is giving the error "WARNING: recursion requested
> but not available"

Which flavour and version of PowerDNS are you using?

If you are talking about the PowerDNS authoritative server, you should
note that recursion was removed from version 4.1.0.  You now must run
separate authoritative and recursive servers.

Some scenarios and how to migrate are here:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/recursion.html