[Pdns-users] pdns recursor edns-client-subnet caching problems

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Aug 3 08:21:30 UTC 2017

On 08/03/2017 12:04 AM, Shawn Zhou wrote:
> I don't think that's the right behavior. If Client Subnet scope set to
> 0, resolver should not cache it.
> unbound DNS gives me the expected output as it cache has different
> entries for different client subnet. Why is pdns recursor's
> implementation different?

rfc7871 states that a Client Subnet scope set to 0 should be cached and
is suitable for all networks in section 7.3.1:

   Records that are cached as /0 because of a query's SOURCE PREFIX-
   LENGTH of 0 MUST be distinguished from those that are cached as /0
   because of a response's SCOPE PREFIX-LENGTH of 0.  The former should
   only be used for other /0 queries that the Intermediate Resolver
   receives, but the latter is suitable as a response for all networks.

It also hints so in section 7.3:

   If no ECS option is contained in the response, the Intermediate
   Nameserver SHOULD treat this as being equivalent to having received a
   SCOPE PREFIX-LENGTH of 0, which is an answer suitable for all client
   addresses.

Section 11.2 also states:

   [...] to send a matching response with SCOPE
   PREFIX-LENGTH set to 0 to get it cached for all hosts.

I might of course be mistaken, but it seems to me that we are currently
doing the right thing.

--
Remi Gacogne