[Pdns-users] pdns recursor edns-client-subnet caching problems

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Wed Aug 2 06:21:17 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 05:52:26AM +0000, Shawn Zhou wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying out pdns recursor 4.0.6 on Ubuntu Xenial and cache lookup for same record with and without client subnet give me the same result which is not expected. I expect [3] to return a different value as the cache should have different value based on client subnet. I wonder if that's bug with edns-client-subnet implementation with pdns or I miss something in the configuration file.
> Also, I noticed dig doesn't show "CLIENT-SUBNET: 52.57.28.138/32/16" when I dig against pdns but I get that when I dig it against the authoritative directly. see [4].

Hi Shawn,

We did a lot of work on EDNS Client Subnet in 4.1, for which a trial release
can be found in https://blog.powerdns.com/2017/07/18/powerdns-recursor-4-1-0-alpha1-released/

Before we analyse your issue to deeply, can you check what 4.1 does in your
case?

Have you set use-incoming-edns-subnet?

Good luck!

	Bert