[Pdns-users] Strange query results

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Fri Apr 14 09:32:22 UTC 2017

Hello Ronald,

On 14 Apr 2017, at 3:15, Ronald Roeleveld wrote:

> Hi there everyone,
>
> I've just started setting up my first pdns master with mariadb backend
> running on a RPi2 with DietPi (latest) installed. Pdns is running both
> as
> authoritive aswell as recursive.
>
> When I perform a nslookup to from client pc's (Windows 10) something
> strange seems to happen.
>
> The query results display the DNS server address as 127.0.0.53:53,
> which
> should be 192.168.178.24.
> Also when I query for example Google.com (but this happens with any
> query)
> it shows the IP addresses but also appends .fritz.box to my results.
> So
> google.com becomes google.com.fritz.box.

Your fritzbox, via DHCP, has told your Windows that the search domain is
fritz.box. However, since recently, there is an actual .box TLD (like
.com and .net), and inside the .box TLD is a wildcard pointing to
127.0.53.53. For an explanation of why that is done, see
https://icann.org/namecollision

The problem is that nslookup appears to be trying the name you type in
under fritz.box -first- before trying without it. Adding a trailing dot
to your query (so www.google.com. ) might help, but please be aware that
nslookup is very buggy.

Kind regards,
--