[Pdns-users] Zone transfer from previous DNS (Google domains)

David Jones djones at ena.com
Thu Apr 13 15:22:16 UTC 2017

Google would have to allow zone transfers from their DNS servers which I
doubt they are going to allow, just like they said.

If it's only a few records, then copy/paste out of their admin panel.  If it's
more than a few dozen, then you would need to find a way to export the
records out of the admin panel then get them into the PowerDNS server
via a database update or the API.

It would be nice if there was a script/tool that could read an input file
(CSV or BIND formatted file) and add them via the API.  Maybe someone
has done this or knows of something.  I don't.  I had to write a Python
script to read the output of a "dig axfr" and do database inserts.  In this
case you won't be able to do a "dig axfr" to the Google DNS servers.

Dave