[Pdns-users] Using the API without running the DNS server

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Mon Apr 3 16:06:14 UTC 2017

> On Apr 3, 2017, at 8:44 AM, jim at archer.net wrote:
>
> Hi All…
>
> I’m in the process of deploying a pdns cluster and am going to have 4 dns servers, each with their own installation of Postgres. These will be standby servers from a master version of Postgres, and on the master is where changes to zones will happen.
>
> For a bunch of reasons I think it’s best to let my front end use the API, so I’ll have to install pdns on that master Postgres box. Can I configure pdns so that the API works but the name server itself does not?

Not an answer to your question, but I'm using a similar setup and I've found it convenient to have the pdns server on the master box answer queries (on localhost, in my case) so I can use DNS tools to look at what the master believes reality is, particularly when diagnosing replication issues / lag.

Cheers,
  Steve