[Pdns-users] Changes between versions

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Tue Sep 20 17:26:01 UTC 2016

Thanks for the info. Strange that Ubuntu has decided to do such nonsense
for a stable distribution. Good to check what you'll get before you get it.

Is it enough to add that repository to my package sources before doing
the dist-upgrade? I haven't seen this "apt preferences" stuff before but
it looks like it.

And still, what changes will I have to face between 3.3.1 and the
current 4.0.1?

Yves

On 19/09/2016 21:15, Yves Goergen wrote:
> Also, is it true that Ubuntu has packaged an alpha version into their
> LTS distribution? Isn't it that alpha versions are highly unstable,
> not much tested, have lots of known bugs and should never be used in
> production systems?

The answers are: yes, yes, yes, yes and yes :-)

The alpha version of pdns-server which Ubuntu included in 16.04 is
seriously broken, especially with mysql backend. Don't use it.

Last I heard (which was the beginning of August), the pdns people were
still working on getting at least 4.0.0 final into Xenial. In the mean
time, you're better off using the packages which they release themselves:

https://repo.powerdns.com/

Regards,

Brian.