[Pdns-users] Need a solution to use an resolver for external CNAME's

Alejandro Adroher Mellado alejandro.adroher at omniaccess.com
Wed Sep 14 09:48:03 UTC 2016

Hi,
A resolver by definition goes to the root servers to find answers to the queries received.
If you want to ask for an external CNAME, you need a recursor, but using f.e. the "allow-from=172.16.0.0/16" (being this your internal network), close your recursor service to the external world. You could use it, but I'm not.

You say:
"We want a public DNS server, but resolve queries for existing database entries only. Seems not possible to configure."
For that having only an Authoritative Service is enough.

I have note very clear what you are looking for .... It seems you need an Authoritative for your domains (which can be queried by everyone) and also a recursor for internal use only.

Can you clarify this for me?

XD

Ale