[Pdns-users] Recursor doesn't wait long enough for the reply

Thomas Mieslinger miesi at pc-h.de
Thu Sep 1 14:09:01 UTC 2016

As a side note from my experience: Be very careful and don't set it high.

a) setting network-timeout to very high values like 20s will cause your
recursor to run out of sockets (Because they are all in use by
connections to slow or dead authoritative Servers)
b) Clients using your recursor have their own timeouts and don't care
for your recursors answer if the it is received after their timeout.
They will have retried, hitting another pdns-recursor thread consuming
another socket on the recursor.

So, don't set network-timeout higher than the time-out on your clients.

If you have problems with certain zones, just add

+dead.zone=8.8.8.8

to your forward zones and that stops eating up sockets. Yes, google
delivers potential outdated data, but it does fast.

That is by far not a perfect solution but sometimes things must stop
dying. Fast.

Cheers Thomas