[Pdns-users] throttled-outqueries

David opendak at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 28 14:11:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-28 2:11 AM, Alejandro Adroher Mellado wrote:
> Thanks David,
>
> Yes we have dnsdist in front of the recursor, and some scripts detecting those SERVFAILS and redirecting all those queries to the abuse pool(dnsdist) in which we have QPS restrictions. (all of that trying to deal with the SERVFAILs automatically )
>
> But the fact is when I'm having throttled-outqueries my kernel logs keeps logging lots of those messages like
>
> Oct 28 09:54:22 rec01 kernel: [22546440.225357] net_ratelimit: 28 callbacks suppressed
> Oct 28 09:54:27 rec01 kernel: [22546445.394524] net_ratelimit: 35 callbacks suppressed
> Oct 28 09:54:33 rec01 kernel: [22546450.915227] net_ratelimit: 30 callbacks suppressed
> Oct 28 09:54:38 rec01 kernel: [22546456.054420] net_ratelimit: 22 callbacks suppressed

Is this "trusty" ubuntu? Is it logging to the journal or do you use
syslog or rsyslog? I suspect one of these is limiting the amount of logs
it's writing, but I can't say I've seen that exact message before.

> Seems both terms related, because If I restart my recursor, those kernel messages stops for a while.
>
> dnsdist                             1.1.0~beta1-1pdns.trusty
> pdns-recursor                3.7.3-1

IIRC log-common-errors was enabled by default on 3.7.x - which will
produce a lot of log entries already for these abusive queries. As a
second note, 4.x handles these much better. We used to have queries that
would spawn 50 recursive lookups (the max) but now with 4.x they stop
much quicker.