[Pdns-users] Some question about DNSDist

Oli Schacher oli.schacher at switch.ch
Thu Nov 24 18:18:11 UTC 2016

Hi

Am 24.11.16 um 18:20 schrieb nguyen van:

> I'm using Redhat 7. I'm a newbie with DNSDist. I tried to config as
> README.md but I got some issue. Can you help me?
> Issue 1. I tried to makeKey but it always return plaintext:
>> makeKey()
> setKey("plaintext")
>
> Here is list rpm in my system:
> dnsdist-1.0.0-1pdns.el7.x86_64.rpm
> libedit-3.0-12.20121213cvs.el7.x86_64.rpm
> libsodium-1.0.5-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
> And I also added "bind "^R" em-inc-search-prev" by command: echo "bind
> "^R" em-inc-search-prev" > ~/.editrc. But It still return "plaintext".

Does 'dnsdist --version' tell you if libsodium is found at all? For me
it shows:
dnsdist --version
dnsdist 0.0.1306g98883b8 (Lua 5.1)
Enabled features: dnscrypt libsodium protobuf re2 systemd

Apart from a different dnsdist version I have the same versions, and it
works on centos 7.1:
rpm -qa libsodium libedit
libedit-3.0-12.20121213cvs.el7.x86_64
libsodium-1.0.5-1.el7.x86_64

> Issue 2: My "dnsdist" server have both "dnsdist" and "named" so I open
> and use another port for named.
> My /etc/dnsdist/dnsdist.conf
> setLocal('0.0.0.0')
> newServer{address="192.168.3.3:5353 <http://192.168.3.3:5353/>", qps=10,
> order=1}
> newServer{address="192.168.3.4", qps=10, order=2}
> setServerPolicy(firstAvailable)
> getServer(0):setUp()
> getServer(1):setUp()
> I used DNSDist via systemd service. When named in first server go to
> down and I run a "dig @192.168.3.3 <http://192.168.3.3/> myzone.com
> <http://myzone.com/>". Query zone has been failed.I hope it can return a
> successful query by get it in second server: "192.168.3.4".
> How could I config in this case without set first server to "down"?

don't use "setUp()", this will force dnsdist to treat this server as UP,
even if it isn't. Instead, use setAuto() or just remove these lines,
auto is the default. This will probe the server and automatically switch
to the next server when the first one goes down.

> A minor question: Could I add comments to /etc/dnsdist/dnsdist.conf file?

yes, just start them with a double hyphen. The dnsdist.conf file is lua
code.

-- example comment

Best regards
Oli