[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor 4.0.0 Alpha 3 released

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Tue May 10 21:34:27 UTC 2016

Hi Steinar,

On Tue, 10 May 2016 21:37:21 +0200 (CEST)
sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> I'm trying to get this up and running on a FreeBSD 10.3/x64 server.
> Not entirely straightforward.
>
> - I'm trying to use gcc 5.3.0 and Boost libraries 1.55.0. Which
> versions are you using for development?

I use GCC 6.1 and Boost 1.60, but the recursor also compiles on Debian Jessie with GCC 4.9.2 and Boost 1.55.0.

> - I ended up with the following compiler flags - particularly the
> g++ part was tricky (I'm not a C++ expert). Do these flags make
> sense?
>
> CFLAGS "-g"
> CXXFLAGS "-g -std=c++11 -D_GLIBCXX_USE_C99"

There should be no need to choose the flags. PowerDNS Recursor 4.0.0 is fully auto-tooled. So downloading and unpacking the tarball and running './configuge && make' should do the trick.

> - With the above flags I'm actually able to compile and link a
> pdns_recursor binary - however, it dumps core right after startup
> (when trying to produce the recursor.conf-dist file). The gdb
> backtrace is as follows:
> <snip>

I have a feeling this happened because of missing flags. I compiled the recursor on a FreeBSD 10.3 machine by running './configure && make' and it does not segfault on startup. So I suggest compiling it like that, and not mess with flags. Note that you'll probably need `pkgconf` installed.

--
Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com