[Pdns-users] authoritative performance?

Bud Asterisk budasterisk at gmail.com
Wed May 4 23:35:15 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Am relatively new to setting up a DNS server and here is what I would like
to accomplish. Have a bunch of distributed Linux servers doing some deep
packet inspection. Based on the results of the inspection my application
would issue a http REST to a variety of other Linux boxes. The plan would
be to route these REST messages to the right destination using DNS.
Messages destined to ‘BOB’ would go to a specific IP per normal ops.

We would have a private DNS server(s) set up geo-dispersed. Authoritative
and use POSTGRES as a backend. I do not forsee needing 1M A records but you
never know! They would be static and could have a very long TTL. What I
like about the DNS option is that all routing of messages can be handled by
the ‘middle’ DNS layer which in PowerDNS is nice and configurable on the
fly if you need to add new destinations. It would go something like this:

DPI Box “BOB.example.com” -> DNS

DPI Box <- DNS “BOB’s IP”

DPI Box -> BOB’s IP

That way DPI box never has to get touched once deployed. All network growth
and new destinations are handled at the DNS layer.

I realize this is like asking how cold is it outside…..but what type of
performance could be obtained for various  server core/memory/A record
count sizes? I have seen many tables/claims of 10,000 QPS on a moderate
box, but what is realistic to go up to? Memory is cheap and can be added to
ensure once it is cached in memory and not pulled from POSTGRES things
would go quicker but I have no idea if 20,000 QPS is reasonable 50,000 etc!
Any wisdom from the smarter folks appreciated.

Bud,