[Pdns-users] Powerdns Problem with Delegation to Isilon.

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:55:53 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 08:03:04AM -0700, syaginf wrote:
> What is interesting with
> forward-zones=isilon.hpc=192.168.3.0 set
> if I do dig and point to recursor dns and port - I get the A record I need.
> But when I ask PDNS server i don't get A record.
> So it seems like I need to do something that would make PDNS ask recursor
> about this and it's not happening right now.

Hi,

You cannot get this answer from the authoritative server. You must use a
recursive DNS server for that. You should be talking to a DNS recursor
for client DNS lookups and not the authoritative-only PDNS server. The
recursor will take care of asking the auth server for what it needs.
We used iptables+nat to have the campus hit the pdns-recursor and off-campus,
who should not get recursion, hit the PDNS auth server.

Regards,
Ken