[Pdns-users] PowerDNS recusor 4.0.0 alpha2 packages/forward zone file

Chris lists at shthead.com
Sun Mar 6 03:03:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am doing some testing with PowerDNS 4.0 recursor as I am looking to
replace my existing Unbound recursors. So far everything looks good
except for one show stopper. I am using a forward zones file like this:

forward-zones-file=/etc/powerdns/recursor_forward_zones

The forward zones file contains forwarders for various DNS black lists
that I host a local mirror of:

sbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
pbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
xbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
dbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.1:54

When a query comes in for a zone that is forwarded the recursor terminates.

I can see this issue on Github which looks the same:
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/3121

Apparently this should be resolved in alpha2, but I do not see any
packages on repo.powerdns.com for the jessie-rec-40 distro yet. Is there
a planned release for this package? If not I will just build the package
myself.

The other thing I was not sure of is the syntax of the forward zones
file - should the zone names be terminated with a dot, eg:

sbl.spamhaus.org.=127.0.0.1:54

Also, when I start the recursor I can see the following log entry:

Insufficient number of filedescriptors available for
max-mthreads*threads setting! (4096 < 32793), reducing max-mthreads to 254

PowerDNS should be running as the pdns user (it does according to the
process list), I checked the limits for that user and it looks fine:

root at dns-slave:~# su - pdns -c 'ulimit -aHS' -s '/bin/bash'
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 64206
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 128000
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 64206

Thanks