[Pdns-users] Fwd: configure powerdns

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sat Jul 23 08:53:27 UTC 2016

On 22/07/2016 11:58, sheikha mohamed wrote:
> after I finished configure powerdns as a DNS sinkhole I tired to
> test my sinkhole using nslookup
>
> -nslookup www.googel.ca <http://www.googel.ca>
>
> I got error that connection time out
>
> I think it is network issue and my network is bridged to my local pc
> but when I am trying to ping my local pc from my host virtual network
> I can not
>
> is it network issue or some thing else

It depends - you have not given enough information yet.

1. PowerDNS is split into different packages, including "powerdns
authoritative server" and "powerdns recursor"

For what you are trying to do, you need "powerdns recursor". Is that
what you have installed?

2. What version did you install?

And where did you download it from? Did you get a pre-built package for
your OS, or did you build it from source, or something else?

3. You need to show the contents of your configuration file (recursor.conf)

Note: documentation can be found at
https://doc.powerdns.com/md/recursor/settings/ (that's for 4.x, so if
you have an older version, there are different URLs for those)

4. What did you put in your /etc/resolv.conf when you were trying to use
nslookup?

If you pointed to nameserver 127.0.0.1 then I note that the recursor's
default "allow-from" setting does not include 127.0.0.1. Try setting
your server's external IP address (192.168.1.x) instead.

5. Do you see anything in log files? e.g. /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages

You may also find this document helpful:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

It shows how to structure your questions to a mailing list to maximise
your chance of getting the response you need.

HTH,

Brian.