[Pdns-users] Re: New blogpost: per-device MAC address based DNS policies

spork at bway.net spork at bway.net
Wed Jan 27 19:16:07 UTC 2016

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 8:18 AM, bert hubert <bert.hubert at powerdns.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We're blogging up some new and exciting PowerDNS 4.0.0 and dnsdist features.

> Today we added:
> http://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/27/per-device-dns-settings-selective-parental-control/
>
> "A problem however for other kinds of filtering is that subscribers
> typically
> share a single IP address among all their devices. This makes it hard to
> provide ¿parental control¿ to the kids¿ tablets, but not to other computers
> in the household
> With the configuration outlined above, it is easily possible to provide
> per-device DNS filtering instructions for each subscriber¿

Slightly off-topic, but this intrigues me, more from a privacy perspective than anything else. :)  I was looking at the email thread you linked to and saw some confirmation this is happening (embedding unique identifiers in DNS queries), but I¿m still curious just who is doing this.  Are we talking Verizon and AT&T and the like?  And am I understanding how this works - basically the CPE provided to the customer presents it¿s inside IP as the DNS server via DHCP and then acts as a proxy for the NAT¿d devices?

I¿d love to hear more...

Charles
--
Charles Sprickman