[Pdns-users] Virtual servers in pdns-recursor

Thomas Mieslinger miesi at pc-h.de
Fri Jan 8 21:54:25 UTC 2016

Am 08.01.2016 um 17:56 schrieb Nick Williams:
> On Jan 8, 2016, at 9:46 AM, Pieter Lexis <pieter.lexis at powerdns.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [..]
>>> /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor-balancer1 start.
>>
>> You'll need to add '--config-name'[1] to command line options pdns_recursor in the init-script. Virtual hosting as done by the authoritative server is not supported with the recursor init-script.
>
> FWIW, this would be a good application for containers, such as Docker containers.

I run 10 pdns_recoursor instances on each of my recursive server boxes.
I'm (still) using a distro with upstart so I just need a short
/etc/init/pdns-recursor.conf

--snip--
description "pdns instance $INSTANCE"

stop on runlevel [016]

respawn

instance $INSTANCE

exec /usr/sbin/pdns_recursor --daemon=no
--config-dir=/etc/pdns-recursor/$INSTANCE --config-name=$INSTANCE
--socket-dir=/var/run/pdns-recursor/$INSTANCE
--snap--

and can as many instances as I have CPU and ram. initctl list nicely
lists all running instances... restarts failed processes etc.

Copying sysV initscripts around is not elegant, but with well written
upstart/systemd/svcadm configuration there is absolutely no reason to
wrap docker around pdns_recursor or pdns.

Sorry

Thomas