[Pdns-users] Remote backend docs

Mike Cardwell pdns at lists.grepular.com
Mon Dec 5 11:56:06 UTC 2016

* on the Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 01:34:07PM +0200, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> Just got started with PowerDNS. Developing an application using the
>> Remote backend, but the docs at
>> https://doc.powerdns.com/md/authoritative/backend-remote/ seem a
>> little sparse. What do the following parameters contain and when
>> should they be used?
>>
>> zone_id
>> domain_id
>> auth
>> scopeMask
>
> zone_id = optional zone id, or use -1 if you do not care about such
> things. This is an opaque integer used by powerdns in various places to
> tell you which zone it means.
>
> domain_id = ditto above, but for domains

It sounds like I can ignore these two.

> auth = 1 if your data is authoritative for the zone and 0 if not.
> usually you should set this to 1. setting it 0 will put the data into
> additional section.

Hmm. ISTR that answers were having their additional section populated
automatically even though I wasn't setting "auth" to anything. Will
double check that later. But it's good to know that's what the intention
of the variable is at least.

> scopeMask = how many bits of requestor IP was used to produce this
> result. this should 0 unless you are using the client's (real) IP
> somehow to come up with the answer, and if you do, how many bits of the
> value was used. 128 (v6) or 32 (v4) means you used up the whole IP, 0
> means no bits were used.

This sounds like it will work if I want to for example return a different
A record depending on the source IP address. However, what if I want to
return a specific A record for some source IPs, and *no* A record for
other IPs? How do I set a scopeMask on an empty response?

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F