[Pdns-users] Installing PowerDNS 4.x authorative server on Debian Jessie

Volker Janzen volker at janzen.onl
Mon Aug 1 16:47:04 UTC 2016

Hi Remi,

> Alright, so the "Failed at step NO_NEW_PRIVILEGES spawning
> /usr/sbin/pdns_server: Invalid argument" means that the call to
>
> prctl(PR_SET_NO_NEW_PRIVS...)
>
> failed. PR_SET_NO_NEW_PRIVS is supported since Linux 3.5 and if I'm not
> mistaken Debian Jessie defaults to a 3.16 kernel. What kernel are you
> running?

2.6.32 and 3.2.81-1

When upgrading from wheezy to jessie there is no forced kernel update to 3.16! The host system running the 2.6.32 kernel will not be able to update (OpenVZ container will all have 2.6.32 kernels). I think a lot of people migrating from wheezy to jessie might run into this problem. I've some machines in the cluster left that will have the same problem. Is this assumed to be a bug then? In systemd or PoweDNS?

Regards
    Volker