[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Security Advisory 2015-02
pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Wed Sep 2 13:24:48 UTC 2015
We'd like to make you aware of Security Advisory 2015-02 for PowerDNS.
A bug was recently found in our DNS packet parsing/generation code,
which, when exploited, can cause individual threads (disabling service)
or whole processes (allowing a supervisor to restart them) to crash with
just one or a few query packets.
* CVE: CVE-2015-5230
* Date: 2nd of September 2015
* Credit: Pyry Hakulinen and Ashish Shakla at Automattic
* Affects: PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.4.0 through 3.4.5
* Not affected: PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.4.6
* Severity: High
* Impact: Degraded service or Denial of service
* Exploit: This problem can be triggered by sending specially crafted
* Risk of system compromise: No
* Solution: Upgrade to a non-affected version
* Workaround: Run the Authoritative Server inside a supervisor when
`distributor-threads` is set to `1` to prevent Denial of Service.
No workaround for the degraded service exists
PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.4.0-3.4.5 are affected. No other
versions are affected. The PowerDNS Recursor is not affected.
PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.4.6 contains a fix to this issue. A
minimal patch is available .
This issue is entirely unrelated to Security Advisory 2015-01/CVE-2015-1868.
We'd like to thank Pyry Hakulinen and Ashish Shakla at Automattic for
finding and subsequently reporting this bug.
1 - https://downloads.powerdns.com/patches/2015-02/
PowerDNS.COM BV - https://www.powerdns.com
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Pdns-users