[Pdns-users] strange servfail

Martin domains at crystalline.nl
Thu Oct 29 19:18:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Poweradmin and everything seems to be
ok in the database, no mixup of types and content or anything.

I forgot to add that if I query the authoritative nameserver for the
domain directly, dig works as expected:

dig a abc.example.com @ns1.mynsserver

gives me the expected NXDOMAIN result.

I have enabled MySQL query log and it appears that some queries are
fired but somehow the requesting client is unable to determine who is
authoritative or something. You see, when I use nslookup in debug mode
this happens:

------------
 QUESTIONS:
 abc.example.com, type = A, class = IN
 ANSWERS:
 AUTHORITY RECORDS:
 ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
------------
** server can't find abc.example.com: SERVFAIL

I would expect to at least get some authority records. Again,
www.example.com is working fine in nslookup & dig.

Martin

On 29-10-2015 18:12, bert hubert wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> You appear to have put domain names in the type field! The error messages say the type is example.example.com.
>
> Bert
>
> On Oct 29, 2015 17:10, Martin <domains at crystalline.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have setup a simple MySQL backend for a domain with a few MX records, a couple of A records, two NS records and a SOA record for the domain. All dig commands are run from a completely unrelated server: dig a www.example.com [1] is working: it returns the right A record dig a example.com is working: it returns the right A record Now this is where things go wrong: dig a abc.example.com returns a SERVFAIL but I am expecting a NXDOMAIN response because there is no A record for abc.example.com I checked the PowerDNS logs and this is there: Oct 29 16:44:45 ns1 pdns[27687]: Exception building answer packet (Unknown DNS type 'example.example.com') sending out servfail Oct 29 16:44:45 ns1 pdns[27687]: Exception building answer packet (Unknown DNS type 'example.example.com') sending out servfail Oct 29 16:44:45 ns1 pdns[27687]: Exception building answer packet (Unknown DNS type 'example.example.com') sending out servfail Oct 29 16:44:45 ns1 pdns[27687]: Exception building answ
 er
packet (Unknown DNS type 'example.example.com') sending out servfail Oct 29 16:44:45 ns1 pdns[27687]: Exception building answer packet (Unknown DNS type 'example.example.com') sending out servfail Five messages with unknow dns type 'domain.domain.tld'. I have tried an online tool like http://www.kloth.net/services/dig.php [2] as well and it generates the same error in the logs but only once instead of five times. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm stumped. I'm running the latest version on Debian. Thanks, Martin

Links:
------
[1] http://www.example.com
[2] http://www.kloth.net/services/dig.php