[Pdns-users] Alphabetic Case support (?)

Federico Olivieri lvrfrc87 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:59:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I was running a DNS test (from https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm) on my DNS
server. From the result I could see the "Alphabetic Case" test. I din't
know about this feature and I googoled. That is what the website says:

   - *Alphabetic Case:*
   The DNS system is not sensitive to alphabetic case, so the domain “
   WWW.GRC.COM” is identical to “www.grc.com”. DNS is designed to *ignore
   but preserve* the alphabetic case used in queries and replies. This
   creates an opportunity for a DNS resolver to add additional unknown bits of
   “entropy” to its queries by randomly changing the case of any alphabetic
   characters in the queried domain name. When replies are received, only the
   valid replying nameserver that received the mixed-case query could know the
   proper case for its reply. No spoofing server would know. This would give a
   clever resolver another way to reject spoofed replies. We know of no
   nameservers that are deliberately mixing case in this way, but through this
   test we are helping you to keep your eye out for any.

I had a look to PDNS website but I didn't find any relevant information to
understand if pdns support this feature (from the test result seems not
supported)

Do you have extra info about that?

Thanks

Federico